Friday, May 14, 2010

3D Saves The Day

Once again, I was able to put my meager 3D skills to use on a couple projects where there were few alternatives. The most recent is an image from a new sports-related website where there was little direction from the client and even less good photography. The requirement was for a dynamic design. The deadline rather short. As my confidence wavered, I scratched out a couple rough concepts on paper and fired up my 3D software. Within about ten minutes, I had enough together to look potentially useable, and after a couple hours work along with a rough page layout, the client seemed pretty happy. For starting with little, the not-final result was enough to satisfy the client with the direction; a big hurdle.


The earlier project is a design for a trade show booth display. This time, the design concept for the booth came together quickly and all I needed to do was conceptualize it. Being able to quickly swap display graphics and make modifications keeps the process moving and assures the client that the design is worthwhile.


While the results are not terribly sophisticated, being able to put together an image quickly can really help sell a concept when little else is available. Now if only I had time to really get good with the software!




No comments: