Thursday, April 12, 2007

Watch This Billboard

I haven't done many billboard assignments in the past, but have done a handful this last year for a local jeweler (see their website I designed at www.juhasandsullivan.com). Knowing the photos will be gigantic often puts some extra pressure to make sure no blemishes are obvious. Fortunately I discovered the the billboard company doesn't require gigabyte-sized images, but something more like 400 dpi at around 12 inches wide. This particular board required the watch image to extend off the top.

The tough part was the watch photo I was provided was shot straight on. Making it look rotated slightly may have been possible with some effort in Photoshop, but I decided to try Plan B. I did a Google Image Search for Tag Heuer watches and tracked down a photo of a similar style watch with a different face. A short time later I had the correct face on the band and sized it up to match the resolution of the rest of the art. A few sparkles later and it looked pretty good in a short amount of time (I was given a rough layout of the board to recreate in the late morning and had to have the final art delivered to the billboard company by 4pm).

I'm not sure where in the area the board is supposed to appear, but I'm keeping my eye out. It's fun to stumble upon one of them, even if they aren't a work of high art!

No comments: