Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Final MacBook Pro Observations

Well, I've had the MacBook Pro for a few weeks now and no compaints. The only odd behavior I've noticed is that it sometimes wakes from sleep in a strange way. It can take some time to wake up fully and I've had to do a force-restart a couple times. Battery life is as expected. No better or worse than my PowerBook. I've tried to keep it plugged in when possible to keep the battery from getting worn. It runs high definition movie trailers flawlessly. Universal apps are quick. PPC apps like Office, Flash and the Adobe products do tend to lag some, but still an improvement over my old machine. Its 80GB hard drive is still not comfortably enough for everything I have. My apps take up 75% of it (including email). The 1.5GB of RAM is nice. Wireless seems to work great. It's nice to be able to burn DVDs on the road now. The iSight camera and Photo Booth software certainly is a crowd pleaser around family and kids. Using Parallels virtualization software to run WinXP is very nice. Only really needed it a couple times, but am impressed with it. Might hold off on Apple's BootCamp in case the next version of OSX has the functionality built in.

Overall, a highly recommended machine if you can stand the warmth!

No comments: