Friday, April 14, 2006

Day One with MacBook Pro

The package from Amazon arrived via UPS about 2:30 this afternoon. Large box with a couple smaller ones inside. I'm always reminded just how nicely Apple packages their new equipment. Premium attention to detail. The MacBook Pro started up and launched into the setup routine.

My first impressions were of the bright screen, clean lines and smooth finish. While I could hear none of the irritating buzzing I've heard other owners complain of, I could tell rather quickly that this puppy would get warm. After loading some software and project files, the bottom got pretty hot. Quite a bit hotter than my old PowerBook G4. Performance playing high definition movie trailers exceeded my expectations. I could pretty quickly tell that a 1GB stick of memory would help move things along once several tasks got underway. The screen is higher resolution than the PowerBook even at roughly the same dimensions, so it seems much larger than the one on the old machine.

So far I've installed about 20% of my data and about 40% of my software. My other impressions (other than the wicked heat!) are that the illuminated keyboard is nice while the side ports are awkward to get used to. The PowerBook Titanium had ports in the back. While this was difficult at times to get to, once connected, cables were out of the way. Now they hang out of the left or right which can take planning and get in the way of other things like a mouse on a desk.

After just a few hours use, I can see this laptop will continue to provide surprises. Mostly good I expect. Performance in Univeral software will be something I monitor and I might try to install Windows once I get a chance. I'll put it through some paces this weekend and post what I find.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.