Sunday, January 18, 2009

JC Leyendecker


With the passing of Andrew Wyeth, and his place in my big three of favorite artists/illustrators, it reminded me that I don't own any books about him. Over the years I've acquired several books on Norman Rockwell and just got a book on JC Leyendecker for Christmas from my wife. It is one of the first major books on JC and finally gives him his due as one of the greatest illustrators of the 20th century. When I heard it was available from Amazon earlier last year, I immediately sent a link to my wife as a gift idea. What a surprise to receive it as I'd forgot I sent her the link. As I continue to work on one of my first oil paintings in a decade or two, I keep the book close for inspiration. As a mentor of Rockwell, JC certainly set the bar high and influenced a great many of Rockwell's own works.

No comments: