Thursday, February 08, 2007

Timesheet & To-Do Solution


For the last few years, probably more, I've been struggling with a better way of keeping track of my production time and for my to-do list. Years ago I worked for a company that used printed time sheets. I could keep track of my production time down the the tenth of an hour. The real pain in those days was either not keeping the sheet updated properly, or having to find out the appropriate "job number" for a project (assigned by someone else).

Since I've been on my own, I've never been faithful to a time sheet, although I've built several myself, with the intentions of using them diligently. As usual, I'd give up after a week or so. Same thing with a to-do list. I started using the Stickies program that comes with a Mac to keep track of important to-do lists. That seemed to work okay since it was always available and at-a-glance. After taking the time a couple times to try out shareware time tracking programs and even building a spreadsheet to keep track of my time, I finally realized I needed something new. In my business, I often have to compile my time for billings, so accurate keeping track of my time was something I did poorly and I was convinced I often did a poor job of remembering how long I spent on a project. My New Year's resolution was to find a new solution.

Enter the "little black book." I've used an organizer in the past, but never faithfully. I just knew that a digital version would be more likely to be used. Wrong. Same problems. A week or so of use and then I'd forget about it or determine it wasn't good enough.

After seeing a TV show recently about Gene Simmons, his wife made reference to how his little black book is so important to him. They show Gene panicking when he can't find it. Now, I have no idea how computer savvy Gene is, but it got me thinking.

So, right after Christmas, I stopped at my local Staples, to pick up my own little black book. While not an "organizer", my little black book is simply a small calendar with a page for each day. Instead of using it entirely for my appointments (which are few), I also use it to keep track of my production time and any other brief notes about the day. There is also a small area for my to-dos. This is finally a convenient enough system for me to use on a daily basis. It's easy enough to manage my schedule, production time, and to-do's for day for each page. I carry it in my computer bag and have it next to me during the day, ready to jot down just about anything. After a month and a half of use, I can safely say it works like a charm.

The book itself measure 5.5" wide by 8.5" tall and is Staples own brand. Besides a page for each day, it has a section in back for contacts. I don't intend using that section since I rely on my laptop and iPod to hold my contacts. Gotta use what works best!

No comments: